I Can Do It! 2.0: Classroom Management in the 21st Century
I Can Do It! 2.0: Classroom Management in the 21st Century is a program developed by the Colorado Education Association. We spent hours reading, compiling, and vetting the most recent research concerning classroom management. By enrolling in this class, you’ll learn about behavior prevention, how students’ brains work, dealing with difficult behaviors, and incentives systems that get kids back on task. The best part about this program is the collaborative aspects that allow you to implement strategies in your classrooms right away and see immediate results. This program, based largely on Fred Jones’ Tools for Teaching: Discipline, Instruction, Motivation, gives you theory and techniques to informm your practice. All content is aligned to the Colorado Teacher Quality Standards and is broken into individual modules that are easier to digest and apply.
This program, when implemented with fidelity, can radically change your classroom environment. Students spend more time engaged and motivated to learn while you spend less time nagging and disciplining your students. Additionally, you create incentive systems that promote meaningful, academic-based rewards that prevent and limit disruptive behaviors by providing consistent, understandable structure.
This class will use Edthena, an interactive, online video coaching platform. When accessing Edthena, each student will make one-time $25 license purchase that gives her or him unlimited access to Edthena for the entire semester. This means students can use Edthena for other COpilot classes and in their own classrooms and/or buildings.
Upon completion of this class, students will be able to:
- Implment an effective incentive system that promotes social responsibility
- Apply current educational neuroscience in combination with Culturally Responsive Teaching strategies
- Maximize classroom structure to increase time on task behavior
- Utilize a variety of instructional techniques that help student get "unstuck"
- Employ discipline strategies that actually work
- Grade(s): Pre-K | Kindergarten | 1st Grade | 2nd Grade | 3rd Grade | 4th Grade | 5th Grade | 6th Grade | 7th Grade | 8th Grade | 9th Grade | 10th Grade | 11th Grade | 12th Grade | Elementary K-5 | Secondary 6-12
- Subject(s): Education Leadership | Education Support Professionals | Professional Development
- Colorado Academic Standard(s):
- Teacher Quality Standard(s):