Who's Doing the Work?: Strategies for CORE Reading Instruction
Teachers will actively participate in online learning to develop stronger skills and strategies for literacy instruction in a more effective and efficient way through the use of the text, Who’s Doing the Work: How to Say Less So Readers Can Do More by Jan Miller Burkins and Kim Yaris, weekly discussion with classmates, and application of skills and strategies on a weekly basis. This course will take the student through all facets of core literacy instruction from Shared Reading through Guided Reading and all elements in between.
This course is appropriate for elementary teachers, teacher librarians, instructional coaches, specials teachers and administrators. All are invited to join us as we learn about literacy and how to develop a strong foundation.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify and effectively implement strategies for more responsive and effective literacy instruction.
- Determine next steps/strategies for your individual classroom and how you will implement these strategies.
- Define the elements required for a strong foundational literacy program and how they work in relationship with each other.
- Grade(s): Pre-K | Kindergarten | 1st Grade | 2nd Grade | 3rd Grade | 4th Grade | 5th Grade | Elementary K-5
- Subject(s): English Language Arts | Reading,Writing,Communicating | Differentiation
- Colorado Academic Standard(s):
- Teacher Quality Standard(s):