Being the Change
This course is a book study of Sara K. Ahmed’s Being the Change: Lessons and Strategies to Teach Social Comprehension. Participants will collaboratively discuss the tools provided, engage in lessons as adult learners, and reflect on what these things mean for the kids in their classrooms.
“Being the Change is based on the idea that people can develop skills and habits to serve them in the comprehension of social issues. Sara K. Ahmed identifies and unpacks the skills of social comprehension, providing teachers with tools and activities that help students make sense of themselves and the world as they navigate relevant topics in today’s society.”
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Implement tools and strategies to help students navigate social issues.
- Analyze their own identities and the impact they have in the classroom.
- Create learning conditions that help students develop social comprehension.
- Grade(s): 4th Grade | 5th Grade | 6th Grade | 7th Grade | 8th Grade | 9th Grade | 10th Grade | 11th Grade | 12th Grade | Secondary 6-12 | Kindergarten | 1st Grade | 2nd Grade | 3rd Grade | Elementary K-5
- Subject(s): Education Leadership | Education Support Professionals | English Language Learning | Professional Development | Specialized Service Providers | Teacher Leadership/Effectiveness
- Colorado Academic Standard(s):
- Teacher Quality Standard(s):