Leader in Me
About the Course
This course is a book study of Stephen Covey’s “The Leader in Me,” 2nd edition. Participants will collaboratively discuss and submit written reflections and lessons on the 7 Habits (Be Proactive, Begin With the End in Mind, Put First Things First, Think Win-Win, Seek First to Understand Then Be Understood, Synergize, and Sharpen the Saw) Focus will be on how to develop a classroom leadership model specifically for students grades 1-6. Participants will have opportunity to differentiate learning by using a “Leader in Me” Activity Guide specifically for the grade level most applicable. In addition, participants will choose 3-5 “pins” each week on particular topics for a personalized Pinterest board that will be shared to conclude the course. This activity guide will be provided for students taking this class.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Implement strategies for effectively taking responsibility for improving school culture through student leadership processes.
- Establish and maintain communication with students, colleagues, parents, and community members regarding leadership value in students.
- Develop effective lessons to teach, promote, and maintain the 7 Habits and its foundation.
- Identify how 7 Habits can be integrated into core curriculum and be inclusive for all students in your school.
- Reflect on best practices for the school culture.
Kim Knol, Coordinator of the MTSS program at Aspen Elementary School, leads teams in determining next steps for students based on data and input from teachers and families. With 28 years as a public educator Kim believes every member of the school community-teacher and student alike-is capable of leading in unique ways with a little encouragement and opportunity. Collective leadership, Kim believes, builds purpose when balanced with courage and compassion in an environment where students can discover their true passions.
Kim is trained in Adaptive Schools, Our Community Listens, and the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People-all of which have influenced her leadership beliefs and desire to empower others to lead. This includes facilitating Leader in Me classes for Colorado educators through COpilot, as well as giving students experience through school-based leadership teams.
Kim holds a BS in Elementary Education from Florida Atlantic University and a MS degree in Teacher Leadership from Walden University. She is also a National Board Certified teacher in early/middle childhood literacy.