Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model
About the Course
Educators will actively participate in online learning to explore how teachers can use the 8 components of the SIOP (sheltered instruction observation protocol) model to enhance their lesson planning and teaching practices. Educators will apply their knowledge of this model by reviewing and rating teaching scenarios, creating a lesson planning form for both language and content objectives and reflecting on their learning through discussion posts and journal entries.
- Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model by Jana Echevarria, MaryEllen Vogt, Deborah J. Short
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the eight components and thirty features of sheltered instruction and how they can be implemented into lesson planning and delivery.
- Analyze teaching scenarios according to SIOP components to identify strengths and opportunities in each scenario.
- Implement an effective Response to Intervention or MTSS (Multi-tiered system of supports) process to ensure appropriate services for English Language Learners.
- Score a lesson using the SIOP protocol.
Sarah Reed is a preschool director in Woodland Park School District leading, teaching and working towards equitable, quality early childhood education in Colorado. In twelve years as an educator, Sarah has spent five of them teaching English Language Learners both abroad and stateside. Her experiences have led her to firmly believe in the power of collaboration and teamwork in creating successful environments for all learners. In addition to various building level leadership roles, Sarah served as a Teach Plus Educational Policy fellow last year and is a current CEA Ambassador Fellow advocating for fair compensation and support for early childhood teachers in her district.
Sarah holds an MAT in Early Childhood Education and an MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. She is currently finishing her early childhood special education certificate.
Be the first one to review this course!