Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
About the Course
Teachers will gain engaging and concrete ways to teach abstract reading strategies. The book emphasizes the importance of how to make thinking visible for our students, and how to teach these strategies before students apply them to their independent reading. The book is organized into chapters based on these strategies - schema, inferring, questioning, determining importance, visualizing, and synthesizing. Each strategy has a “launching lesson” that includes a concrete item that is used as an anchor throughout the teaching of the strategy. Teachers can easily implement these lessons right away! During the course, we will also connect these strategies to supporting ELLs. This course is appropriate for elementary teachers, middle school English teachers, literacy interventionists, and/or paraprofessionals.
- Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading by Tanny McGregor
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the importance of making reading strategies concrete.
- Implement lessons described in the book.
- Collaborate and reflect on best practices.
- Share ideas and resources that can support ELLs.