What's in Your Library? Evaluating Your Classroom Library for Cultural Sensitivity
About the Course
In this online course, students will participate in research and activities to gain an understanding on how to apply a diversity audit for their classroom library. Students will understand how to analyze books for bias as related to gender, race, ethnicity, and religious beliefs. Students will be able to gain a better understanding of the reading needs of their own students, analyze their current library collection, and then continue to build their library to better suit the diverse needs of their student population.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze the needs of their student population based on gender, ethnicity, race, cultural diversity, religious beliefs, and socio-eocomics.
- Recognize bias in children’s/young adult literature
- Analyze a book based on bias.
- Audit classroom library for cultural sensitivity
- Pursue additions of new books based upon the needs of students’ backgrounds