Strategies for Integrating Science and Engineering Practices
About the Course
What are the science and engineering practices in Colorado Academic Standards for Science? How do they progress for students from K-12? In this course you will learn these answers to these questions and then complete a project based project to develop a tool box of strategies used to teach the Science and Engineering practices:
- Asking Questions/Defining Problems
- Developing and Using Models
- Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking,
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence,
- Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
You will then use this tool box to create a lesson plan that integrates multiple science and engineering practices to use in your own classroom.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the role of the Science and Engineering Practices in 3-dimensional Learning
- Define each practice using student appropriate language for a given grade level.
- Unpack Colorado Science standards to determine what students need to demonstrate to show proficiency in the Science and Engineering Practices
- Develop a tool box of strategies through research and synthesis to teach students each of the Science and Engineering Practices.
- Develop a lesson plan that integrates multiple Science and Engineering practices to teach a specific state standard