Number Sense Routines
About the Course
Deep understanding of number sense is the foundation for developing math skills in young learners. The daily use of 5 to 15 minute exercises will help students build number sense. Participants in this book study will learn how easily number sense can be developed and about ways how to implement responsive number sense routines no matter what curriculum materials teachers use.
- Number Sense Routines: Building Numerical Literacy Every Day in Grades K-3 by Jessica Shumway
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define what number sense is and why it is the key issue with students who are struggling to learn math.
- Develop an understanding how easily number sense can be taught and implemented no matter what materials teachers use or what standards and tests require of teachers.
- Demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of how five to fifteen minutes on a regular basis can result in active engagement from the students, and how playing with numbers can go beyond memorization and drilling to develop deep understanding, fluency, flexibility, and accuracy in student thinking.
- Enumerate routines for developing number sense.
Full of great and easy to implement ideas and routines! As an interventionists, this class gave me a deeper understanding of how to help my students utilizing basic concepts I had not thought about before this.
Great class for teachers across all grade levels.
Great class for any grades to establish number sense routines to help further a student”s math development.